Thursday, December 26, 2013

DIY Wreath

The past couple years for Christmas, I have made my mom gifts I found on Pinterest. Last year it was coasters for the living room with pictures of my sister and I throughout the years mod podged onto them. This year, it was a DIY wreath!  I am so proud of the finished product. I cannot wait to make one for my future house/apartment I'll be living in next year!

Here's what you do. 

Go to Hobby Lobby (or a similar store) to buy the materials. I think that I spent about $20 total on this wreath since a lot of the stuff I needed was conveniently on sale, plus the weekly 40% off coupon you can use on an item of your choice! On this project I used the 40% off coupon on the flowers since the wreath and burlap ribbon were already 50% off, and everything else is pretty cheap anyways. Here's what I used (or something similar):














  1. I began by cutting the different flowers off of the hydrangea bush with about a 4-5" stem to stick through the wreath, plucking all of the leaves off the stem beforehand.
  2. Next I stuck the flower stems through the wreath, and when they came out of the other side I bent them in an L-shape at the end so they wouldn't fall back through.
  3. After that, I painted the monogram letter using the red paint, and about 3-4 coats on each side to make it a really vibrant red, letting it dry in between coats.
  4. After the letter was dry, I used hot glue to attach it to the wreath. I chose a part of the wreath that had a sturdy, thick stick to attach the letter to.
  5. Finally, once everything was on, I tied a burlap bow to the top of the wreath and hot glued parts of the bow onto the wreath to keep it intact. 
And...voila


She absolutely loved it!



Linking up withThat DIY Party - Holiday Time edition!



I hope your holiday was merry and bright!


No comments:

Post a Comment